www.aiesec.ch/fribourg

Montag, 17. September 2012

My experience of a lifetime in Thailand




This summer I went to Thailand to teach English at a primary school near Bangkok. To sum up my experience: AMAZING! Though I was excited when I left, I really didn’t know what to expect. I got off the plane in Bangkok (my first time in Asia) and felt a little lost and alone until I saw the big AIESEC signs with my name. After that time seemed to fly while I enjoyed every minute of my time there. Four other interns were there teaching with me: An from Vietnam, Judy from Taiwan, Thea from Indonesia and Melody from China. Though we were all from different countries and cultures, we got along perfectly from the moment we met and become very good friends during the 6 intense weeks we spent together (living, eating, teaching, travelling etc. together really created a strong bond between us).
We taught English to the kids (kindergarten to 6th grade) and to the teachers as well. The kids were so loving and cute, gave us free hugs every day and made us feel like celebrities. We taught them simple vocabulary and conversation and they were very keen to learn English with us. By the end of our six weeks there I was proud that they remembered all the new vocabulary words we’d taught them and could spell out the words too. The teachers were so nice and treated us like family members they’d know their whole life, not strangers. One of them we even called “mother” because she was like our Thai mother. They were our tour guides, showed us temples, waterfalls, beaches and even took us to a Thai wedding! We also had lots of “parties” with them at the “mother’s” apartment with karaoke and lots of delicious Thai food. Those were some of the best nights in Thailand.
Then there were the AIESECers of LC BU (Bangkok University). From day one they took care of us, were so friendly and helpful, visited us often at the school, took us to parties (with live Thai music!) and showed us around Bangkok. I really can’t express how thankful I am for everything they did for us. They helped us feel at home in a new country and culture.
When we weren’t teaching (so every weekend) we travelled and discovered Thailand. We went sightseeing and shopping in Bangkok; spent a very fun weekend on the island Koh Samed with a peaceful beach to swim; went to an AIESEC camp near a beautiful park with a waterfall we swam in; visited the floating market in Amphawa with fireflies; saw lots of old temples in Ayutthaya, went on a banana boat in Pattaya… and the list goes on. The food was delicious as well – lots of exotic fruit I’d never eaten or even heard before, kai tiau (Thai omlet), mango sticky rice, fresh coconuts, curries….
I believe this is really the best way to travel to a foreign country. The teachers, AIESECers and kids taught us the Thai culture – Thai food, language, music, traditions, dances, festivals, movies etc. We got to help in the school kitchen and learned to cook Thai food. An AIESECer took us to her grandfather’s house in central Thailand (“somewhere in the middle of nowhere”). The teachers took us to a friend’s house 3 hours from Bangkok and we all (about 20 of us) slept in the one and only room of the house. These are all experiences I would’ve missed out on if I’d just been there as a “tourist”. The hardest part was saying goodbye at the end, and we all got very emotional. However, we all promised to come back to Thailand to visit. And the five of us promised we’d visit each other. Now I’m already trying to find time for my next trip to see my “big Thai family”, because I know that I will be back soon! 


If you want to read more about Natalie's experience, go on http://summer-in-thailand-2012.blogspot.ch/

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen